Rev C W Lamport (1843-1910)


The death has taken place, after a brief illness, of the Rev. G. W. Lamport, an active member of the Cardiff Board of Guardians, whose life and industry during his long residence in the Welsh Metropolis have been inseparably bound up in mission work. The son of a farmer, he was born at Salisbury, and came to Cardiff about the year 1865 as an assistant at a clothing establishment. On inheriting a legacy left by an uncle, who had always wanted young Lamport to enter the Church, the deceased began to study at St. Bees, and afterwards at Lichfield College. After being ordained Mr. Lamport served his deaconate at St. Pauls, Cardiff Dock. From 1880 to 1886 he held the Living of St John at Spalding, but returned to Cardiff, where he started a mission church in Riverside. His work as a missioner was so successful that in course of time he was obliged to erect a new edifice, and Christ Church, in Wells-street, where he had ministered ever since, will ever remain a monument to his industry and devotion. The deceased, who had ministered at the church without stipend for nearly a quarter of a century, had a strongly anti-Ritualistic flock, who deeply deplore his death, at the age of 67.

Evening Express 13th January 1910

Source : Welsh Newspapers Online