Frederick Edwards (1847-1933)

William Yeo Edwards (1807-1880), born in Ilfracombe, Devon, moved to Cardiff in the 1860s, formally as a ships captain. He owned a wooden paddler tugboat called the Marie Joseph. He died on 11 June 1880 at his residence in 5 Woodfield Place. His second wife, Clementia Edwards and George Robertson, son in law - then secretary of the Taff Vale Railway - took over as executors.

His son Frederick, born 29th August 1847, joined the business in 1882 and formed the local firm of Edwards and Robertson.

Many of the Fleet were bought second-hand, as was their very first excursion steamer Lady Margaret. It had been launched in 1883 at Greenock, near Glasgow, and was the first owned by the Bristol Channel Express Company.

It was named after the Marquis of Bute's daughter and was one of the first purpose-built pleasure steamers on the Bristol channel. But she was not a success and was brought by Edwards and Robertson.

The ship ran excursions from Cardiff to Chepstow, Weston, Watchet, Minehead, Ilfracombe. Her small size (about 140 feet in length) and slow speed (about 14 knots) became a handicap when Alex Campbell arrived with his faster ship from Scotland, the Paddle Steamer Waverley.

To accompany her in these early years the company purchased a tugboat, the Earl of Dunraven.

Lady Margaret was disposed of in early 1888 to be replaced by the Carrick Castle, late of Scotland and Hastings. This vessel acquired the name Lady Margaret and was in the fleet until the end of the Company.

The first Lady Margaret was sold to the Medway Steam Packet Company, of Rochester, in which area she operated but was accidentally burnt in 1903.

Frederick was buried with his mother and father in Section M on 3rd April 1919.

Source: Penarth Times