John Gower Marychurch (1839-1909)

John Gower Marychurch was one of the few early pioneers of steamship owning at Cardiff who was actually born in the port. His father had owned a number of wooden sailing vessels at Cardiff; but upon his death in 1870, John Marychurch moved into steamships, and by 1880 he was operating four iron steamers.

John Marychurch owned G.E. Wood, John Boyle, John Howard, S.W. Kelly and W.R. Rickett.

Source Cardiff Maritime History - John Richards

Death of Mr. J. G. Marychurch, Cardiff.

We regret to announce the death of Mr. John Gower Marychurch, which took place at his residence, 46 Park Place, Cardiff, on Sunday morning. It was only on the previous Sunday that Mr. Marychurch was honoured at Charles street Congregational School, in celebration of his 50 years' services as secretary. He was seized with illness at three o'clock on Sunday morning, and in an hour he passed away, the cause of death being heart failure. He was in his 71st year. Deceased was a son of the late Mr. James Marychurch, and nephew of the late Mr. Joseph Marychurch, Haverfordwest.

The Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser 24th December 1909

A Retired Shipowner DEATH OF MR. J. G. MARYCHURCH

Mr. J. G. Marychurch, 46, Park Place, one of Cardiff's most prominent citizens, died at his residence on Sunday afternoon. The deceased, who was 70 years of age, was taken ill during the early hour a of the day. and succumbed shortly before four p.m. This day week his photograph appeared in the "Evening Express" in connection with a presentation made to him on the previous Sunday-by the members of the Charles-street Congregational Church his recognition of 50 years' unbroken services as secretary of the Sunday school. A sum of £30 had been collected for the purpose of presenting Mr. Marychurch with a testimonial, but, in characteristic fashion, he handed the money over to the Church funds on condition that a sum be annually devote-d to prizes to members of the school for Scriptural and historical knowledge. He had recently retired from the secretaryship, and the occasion was a fitting commemoration of a long and honourable career of activity in the Church's work. Mr. J. G. Marychurch was a son of the late Mr. James Marychurch, who came to Cardiff from Haverfordwest, and became one of the foremost shippers of coal from the Cardiff Docks. He also owned several ships, and was in business as a shipbroker. Mr. J. G. Marychurch was trained in his father's office. He succeeded to the business when his father died, about twenty years ago, and carried it on for some time. He then sold the ships and retired from business. Mr. James Marychurch was one of the founders of Charles street Congregational Church, and from its foundation his son took an active interest in all its affairs. Mr. J. G. Marychurch was appointed secretary of the Sunday school in 1859, and he continued to hold that office ever since He displayed exceptional powers of organisation and grasp of detail. Under his fostering care the school has been the means of conferring benefit upon large numbers who have passed through its classes, and it is today in as flourishing a state as could be desired. When the Sunday School Centenary was celebrated at the Cardiff Arms Park Mr. Marychurch was one of the local secretaries who organised that large demonstration. For many years he was the sole representative of Wales on the Sunday School Union, and although he was never president of the Cardiff Sunday School Union. he was for some time past one of the vice-presidents. He also took an active interest in the work of the Free Church Council, and was a valued supporter of the Young Men's Christian Association. Upon the death of his father Mr. Marychurch was elected a deacon of Charles-street Congregational Church. He was ever a generous supporter of the finances of the Church, and his sense of his responsibility was marked in 1889, when he with his sister, Miss Marychurch, built and presented to the Church the present church parlour. His latest public act of generosity was the gift of £200 to the Congregational Union Fund for the augmentation of ministers' salaries. Mr. Marychurch married Miss Duncanson, a former headmistress of the Cardiff Higher Grade School, who survives him. There were no children of the marriage.

Evening Express 20th December 1909