John (Jean) Morel (1838-1875)

Founder and Senior Partner of Jean Morel and Company, Cardiff

Jean came to Cardiff with his uncle Philip Le Moignan in 1856, to import potatoes and export coal, from his home in Jersey. In 1861 he married Mary Morel in Jersey. In the same year he arranged for his younger brothers Philip and Thomas to join him in the business of John Morel & Company in 2 Stuart Street. This company exported coal to France and imported iron ore from Spain.

The partnership disolved in 1867 and Philip and Thomas formed their own company Morel Freres et Cie. Jean continued to trade as a general merchant exporting and importing goods.

Jean and Mary had four children, all born in Cardiff. John Edouard (1865-1924), Anne (1867-1940), Emily (1869-1964) and Arthur (1874-1967).

John is buried in plot M 1017

Research & Photography: Margaret Smith

Source: Biographical Dictionary of Jersey - Volume 2 - Francis Louis Morley Corbet