William Marychurch (1824-1897)


We regret to announce that Mr William Marychurch, of the firm of James Marychurch and Co., Docks, Cardiff, died on Thursday at his residence, Fitzalan Place, Cardiff. Mr Marychurch was a native of Haverfordwest, and was the son of Mr Joseph Marychurch, iron founder and agricultural implement maker, of that town. After his marriage he entered into partnership with his father, and carried on a most successful business for years and associated with it for some time the pursuits of farming at Duel well, near Haverfordwest, where he bred some very choice stock. he took an active part in the public affairs of Haverfordwest, and was for years a member of its Town Council, and a prominent and advanced political Liberal. After his removal to Cardiff some 30 years ago he entered into partnership with his uncle, Mr James Marychurch, and his cousin, Mr John Marychurch, as colliery proprietors and shipowners. After the death of Mr James Marychurch the two cousins carried on the firm with enterprise and success. Some twelve months ago Mr Marychurch, who, until then had always possessed fairly good health, had a slight attack of paralysis, from which he has never fully rallied, and to which, as we understand, he ultimately succumbed. Mr Marychurch was a most genial companion, and was respected in all his business relationships, and was a most faithful and trusty friend to those whom he intimately knew and esteemed. He leaves a widow, a son, and three daughters to "bewail his loss. Mr Marychurch was probably the last survivor of Cardiff shipowners who built their ships in Cardiff yards, the William Marychurch being among the boats turned out by the late Mr John Batchelor.

Haverfordwest and Milford Haven Telegraph 3rd November 1897